What is PAS 220?
PAS 220:2008, Prerequisite Programs on food safety for food manufacturing is a Publicly Available Specification (PAS). PAS 220 specifies requirements for establishing, implementing and maintaining prerequisite programs to assist in controlling food safety hazards in the food manufacturing processes of the food supply chain. It is applicable to all organizations which are involved in food manufacturing processes and intended to be used in conjunction with ISO 22000.
PAS 220 stipulates:
- construction and layout of buildings and associated utilities
- layout of premises, including workspace and employee facilities
- supplies of water, air, energy and other utilities
- supporting services, including waste and sewage disposal
- suitability of equipment and its accessibility for cleaning, maintenance and preventive maintenance
- management of purchased materials
- measures for the prevention of cross contamination
- cleaning and sanitizing
- pest control
- personnel hygiene
- product recall procedures
- product information and consumer awareness; and
- food defense, biovigilance and bioterrorism